Bed & Breakfast Simon
The bed and breakfast Simon was born after the renovation of an old medieval house in the centre of Barletta, to offer lovers of the Middle Ages a great holiday.
Located in the centre of Barletta the bed and breakfast Simon provides to clients one structure and a refined and elegant service. Equipped with every comfort: wifi, washing machine, kitchen, shower, TV, wardrobe, desk, refrigerator, towels. It is near the monuments, pizzerias, supermarkets, shops and the beach. We look forward to a wonderful holiday in the best tradition of hospitality in the family.
Double room single use- € 35
Double or Twin Room - € 55
Triple Room - € 65
Prices include breakfast.
All rooms have private toilet and are equipped with TV, independent air conditioning, fridge, wifi, lockers, desk, hair dryer, towels. For stays of 2 days or more is available a kitchen for the rooms the Cathedral and The Castel and the cost is 10 € extra per day.
Barletta listen is a city and comune located in the north of Apulia in southern Italy. Its current population is 94,140. In 2009, it became the government seat of the new Province of Barletta-Andria-Trani.
It is famous for the Colossus of Barletta, a bronze statue, representing a Roman Emperor (perhaps Theodosius II). In 1503 it was the location of the disfida di Barletta ('Joust of Barletta'), a battle during which 13 Italian knights commanded by Ettore Fieramosca challenged and defeated an equal number of French knights who were at the time prisoners of war, in a joust held near Andria. The city at the time was fairly loosely besieged by French forces, and occupied by a Spanish army under the command of Gonzalo de Cordoba the 'Gran Capitan'. It is the location of the archaeological site of the town of Canne della Battaglia (in Latin Cannae). It flourished in the Roman period and then after a series of debilitating Saracen attacks, was finally destroyed by the Normans and then abandoned in the early Middle Ages. It is also near the location of the battlefield of the famous battle between Romans and the Carthaginians led by Hannibal. The city has one gold medal for military valour and another one for the civil valour, for its relatively feeble resistance to an incursion of German Fallschirmjaeger who destroyed the port in order to prevent its falling intact into the hands of the advancing British Eighth Army during World War II.
Barletta is located on the Adriatic coast, where the rocky shore is covered with silt from the Ofanto River. The river forms the boundary of the provinces of Bari and Foggia and has always influenced the agricultural activities of the area. The river also marks the passage from the Murgia to the fertile plain of the Tavoliere, which starts in Barletta.
Barletta is situated on the south-west end of the Gulf of Manfredonia and sits opposite the promontory of Gargano. On its borders are: the Adriatic coast to the north; Trani 12 km to the south-east; Canosa 22 km to the south-west; the mouth of the Ofanto river 5 km to the north-west; and the town of Margherita di Savoia 13 km to the west. It is situated on a low plain that varies from ten to fifteen meters above sea level. The surface extends over an area of 14,471 hectares, and has a length (east to west) of about 6 km, a width (north to south) of about 2 km and a perimeter of about thirteen kilometres.
Its climate is moderated by the sea. Winds are usually from the south. Rainfall is low; Barletta receives 500 mm of rain annually, with most of the rain in autumn and winter day-long deluges and minimal rain between the second half of June and the first half of August.
The comune comprises two parts, Montaltino and Fiumara. The communes next to Barletta are: Andria, Canosa di Puglia, Margherita di Savoia, San Ferdinando di Puglia, Trani, and Trinitapoli.
The city is endowed with a very long, sandy coast stretching to both the east and the west from the commercial port. Along the coast, there are various attractive beaches with trees to the west.
Barletta developed long before the Roman era, known by Greeks and Romans respectively as Bardulos or Barulum, its origin dates back one hundred years before the arrival of either in the region, as demonstrated by the finding of an Apulian settlement (4th century BC) and the derivation of its name 'Baal-El' from Phoenician. Phoenicians first established a trading post and staging post for their trade with the local tribes, and the Etruscans farther north. Here initially there was among other trade goods, the import of the until then unknown wine, and later after the area had proved a fertile location for its cultivation, for its cultivation, its export. So successful was this introduction that the area became known to the Phoenicians as the 'Land of Wine' a name that the Greeks eventually translated as Oenotria.
Detail of the facade of the Cathedral of Barletta.
In the Middle Ages it was a stronghold of the Normans and Lombards, becoming an important staging post for the Crusaders and the Teutonic Knights and Templars as well as the Knights of St. John. After immigration from the nearby Canne increased its population due to the destruction of Cannae by the Normans, Barletta lived its periods of greatest splendour under emperor Frederick II and then subsequently the Angevin kings of Naples. At the beginning of the 16th century, during the guerrilla war between the French and the Spanish over possession of Southern Italy, the city while besieged was the theatre of a historical victory of Italian knights over French prisoners, in what became known as the Joust of Barletta (13 February 1503) this took place during the occupation of the city by Gonzalo de Cordoba, and served as a handy diversion for his restive siege-bound army. Later it served as a fortress for the Spanish rulers of southern Italy. In 1528 it was sacked by French troops under Odet de Foix.
The city was the capital of its district and the seat of the lower prefecture for the 120 years between 1806 and 1927 and sided with the French under Joachim Murat during the Napoleonic War.
During World War II, the city was the site of the first episode of Italian conflict with German troops, when a battalion of Fallschirmjaeger (parachutists) was sent from Foggia to Barletta to destroy the port before the British 8th Army could arrive, the Italian garrison surrendered after a brief struggle, thereby earning the Gold Medal of Military Valour and of Civilian Merit.
This form is for genuine enquiries only. Your IP address will be recorded
This page was last updated: 20 December 2010